Prince William Community School Driver Education Rules
OBTAINING A LEARNERS PERMIT
If the applicant is at least 15 years and six months old and under the age of 18, a learner's permit may be obtained at a Department of Motor Vehicles customer service center after fulfilling several requirements. For details on the application and licensing process, go to www.dmv.state.va.us/
RECEIVING A 180 DAY PROVISIONAL LICENSE
A student must meet the following criteria to receive their ninety day TDL-180 Provisional License:
- be at least 16 years and three months old;
- have held a learner's permit for nine months;
- successfully complete a state-approved driver education classroom course and an on road program with minimum in-car mileage requirement;
- parents have signed the PPF-03 permission form certifying child is properly insured and has driven a motor vehicle for 45 hours, at least 15 of which were after sunset;
- parents have submitted the 45-hour driving log;
- Each parent and student must attend a mandatory 90 minute program in order for a student to complete their classroom instruction.
STUDENT DRIVER RESTRICTIONS
IN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY:
Drivers 17 years of age or younger, with a LEARNER'S PERMIT or LICENSE, may NOT drive from:
- 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday - Thursday
- 11:59 PM to 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday
IN THE STATE OF VIRGINIA: All students who hold a valid Virginia driver's license and are under the age of eighteen years are subject to the following provisions:
- restricted to one non-family teenage passenger until the license is held for one year;
- midnight to 4 a.m. curfew except when driving to and from work, school sponsored activity, with a parent, or in cases of an emergency.
TEEN DRIVER PASSENGER RESTRICTIONS:
- May have ONE nonfamily passenger under 21 years of age during the FIRST year of the driver license.
- May have THREE nonfamily passengers under the age of 21 after the license is held for one year when (i) the holder is driving to or from a school-sponsored activity, or (ii) a licensed driver who is at least 21 is occupying the seat beside the driver, or (iii) in cases of emergency.